In November 2021, world leaders will meet in Glasgow, Scotland at COP26 to present how their countries will achieve the 50% reduction in GHG emissions by 2030 in order to deliver on the Paris Agreement. In advance of this meeting, for-profit and non-profit organizations from across all sectors are setting forth their own pathways towards this goal, and the ultimate goal of net-zero by 2050.
Through this initiative, JMIC aims to link all stakeholders in the corporate, professional, academic and destination communities worldwide that have also committed to engagement in what is one of the biggest collective challenges we all face today, and to invite those that have not done so yet to join.
The Net Zero Carbon Events initiative aims to bring together a wide range of industry stakeholders to:
– Jointly communicate our industry’s commitment to tackling climate change and driving towards net zero by 2050
– Develop common methodologies for measuring the industry’s direct, indirect and supply chain greenhouse gas emissions
– Construct an industry-wide roadmap towards net zero by 2050, and emissions reductions by 2030 in line with the Paris Agreement, with support and guidance on key issues
– Foster collaboration with suppliers and customers to ensure alignment and common approaches
– Establish common mechanisms for reporting progress and sharing best practice.
The new initiative arises from the work of an organizing task force initiated by JMIC members ICCA, AIPC and UFI joined by representatives of Emerald Expositions (US), ExCel (UK), Freeman (US), HKCEC (China), Informa (UK), Javits Center (US), MCI (Switzerland), Messe München (Germany), RX (UK) and Scottish Event Campus (UK) and it was born from a discussion with the UNFCCC secretariat — United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change secretariat — which is also supporting the initiative.
All interested parties are invited to join this journey at https://netzerocarbonevents.org. The aim is to grow this initiative that represents the events industry as a whole and provide a collaborative commitment all can act on.