In addition to rich content from the UK regions – where each devolved nation shared local policy updates of their current situations, and an in-depth look at the state of the airline industry from Jo Roberts, deputy director of communications, Heathrow Airport; a poll amongst the online attendees highlighted some key opinions, providing a snapshot of the current state of the industry.
· 64% are experiencing less than half their normal level of business enquiries and activity. This included 11% who estimate business is lower than a quarter of normal levels. Conversely, 11% said they are experiencing normal levels for the time of the year.
· 52% say their biggest concern for the future is falling delegate numbers.
A further 24% are worried about bio-security and its impact on their business.
· Whilst a small minority of 6% expect business to be back to normal in less than six months; 76% expect it will take more than a year.
· From a personal point of view 10% don’t enjoy working from home, 52% love it and 90% expect flexible working to be a part of their future.
The regional panellists were:
· Kerrin Macphie, VisitEngland
· Neil Brownlee, VisitScotland
· Heledd Williams, VisitWales
· Eimear Callaghan, Tourism Northern Ireland
· Sam Johnston, Fáilte Ireland