As of August 1, Deutsche Bahn (DB) will be the world’s first Intermodal Partner of Star Alliance. With this, DB and the aviation industry are sending another strong signal for the environment-friendly evolution of the travel industry. Under the new cooperation, DB customers and passengers of Star Alliance member airlines will be able to start or end their journey comfortably on the environment-friendly train. Germany is the first market and DB is the world’s first partner in the new Star Alliance initiative.
An industry-first, Star Alliance’s Intermodal Partnership model intelligently combines airline with railway, bus, ferry or any other transport ecosystems, alliance-wide. It is designed to link loyalty systems and facilitate seamless airport/station/port transit. Star Alliance plans to expand intermodal partnerships in the future.
The new partnership between DB and Star Alliance builds on the Lufthansa Express Rail program. Lufthansa customers have been able to buy a combined ticket for trains and flights in one booking step for more than 20 years. In the future, in addition to Lufthansa, all 25 other Star Alliance member airlines will be able to include DB’s ICE trains as flight numbers in their booking engine and customers will benefit from advantages such as:
– In just one booking process, airline customers receive a combined ticket for the flight and train journeys including seat reservations. Upon check-in – which is possible until shortly before the train departs – travellers receive their boarding passes for both the flight and the train journeys.
– With integrated ICE train journeys, air travellers will have even more choices based on timings, duration and prices offered.
– Customers also benefit from priority baggage handling and other services in the AiRail check-in area at the Frankfurt Airport.
– For all bookings of combined train-flight journeys via Lufthansa Express Rail with the member airlines of the Star Alliance, points or miles can be collected for the train journeys in the preferred frequent flyer programs of the airline.
– In addition, Business and First-Class flight customers of Star Alliance member airlines will receive additional benefits with an LH Express Rail ticket, such as access to the DB lounges.
Find out more about the Star Alliance here.