schloss_porcia
Photo Credit: Schloss Porcia

FAMOUS FAR BEYOND CARINTHIA

Gabriel of Salamanca began building the Schloss Porcia in 1533, and the Renaissance building was completed in 1597 according to plans by Italian architects. The three-storey arcades and the rich stucco and relief decoration of the castle earned it the title of “most beautiful Renaissance building north of the Alps”.

schloss_porcia
Photo Credit: meinbezirk.at

In 1662, the Porcia princes acquired the county and administered it until 1918. In the 18th century, numerous Baroque details were added, such as the Porcia family coat of arms in the inner courtyard. The municipality of Spittal took over the ownership of the castle in 1951 and opened the building to the public and established it as the cultural centre of the town.

Since 1958, the two top floors have housed the Museum of Folk Culture, since 1959 the “Comedy Plays” have been held annually in the castle courtyard, and since 1964 the “International Choir Competition” – cultural events that have made Spittal famous far beyond the borders of Carinthia.

GET IN TOUCH

Schloss Porcia
Spittal an der Drau, Austria

T: +43 4762 2890
http://www.museum-spittal.com/dev/schloss-porcia/