fort_gorazda
Photo Credit: World of Montenegro

KOTOR’S MIGHTY FORTIFICATION

Fort Gorazda is a fortification built by the Austro-Hungarian Empire near Kotor in Montenegro. The current fort was built between 1884–86. The fort was used by the Austrians in artillery duels against Montenegrin batteries stationed on Mount Lovćen during the First World War. From the view of Boka, it is clear how strategically important this fortification was. Along with the fortresses on Vrmac, Trojice and Grabovac, Goražde formed the “backbone” of the Lovćen defence zone of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

fort_gorazda
Photo Credit: World of Montenegro

After the construction, Goražde was the most modern fortress of that time. Its builders used, at that time, the latest technologies of military architecture and engineering, which is why the fort has an exceptional historical value. The top of the fortress, which is located at an altitude of 452 meters, offers perhaps the most beautiful view of the Bay of Tivat. Today, the fort finds its moments of glory in the shots of famous films such as “Papillon”, “Il Cuore nel Pozzo” and others.

GET IN TOUCH

Fort Gorazda
Skaljari
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro