HISTORICAL INDUSTRIAL ARCHITECTURE
Once a revolutionary power plant today shines again with new elements, thanks to the synergy of economics, heritage and politics. The Ljubljana city power station, a magnificent technical monument is one of the rare examples of industrial architecture, which is preserved in Slovenia. It has gone through numerous changes since 1898 when its construction began. It was modernized, upgraded and enlarged until the end of World War II, when the power station with its then obsolete technology, was replaced by a heating plant on the outskirts of the city.
Today, the building is a protected cultural, technical and historical monument. It is still owned by the company Elektro Ljubljana, which thoroughly renovated the structure on its centenary anniversary. Some artists “discovered” this interesting building during the ’80s and the ’90s and started to fill it with differing artistic components. Among the first artists to display their works at the Ljubljana Power Station were Ema Kugler, Matjaž Berger and Enrique Vargas, who used the power station as the venue for his performance through the medium of the Exodos Festival.