Enter the house in which Plečnik’s Ljubljana was created! The permanent exhibition Plečnik in the Plečnik House focuses on the life and work of this great architect, while temporary exhibitions serve to present Plečnik’s works and display authentic artefacts from the Plečnik Collection, present the works of his collaborators and contemporaries, and establish Plečnik’s oeuvre as an inspiration for creativity in our times. Visits to the authentic Plečnik’s home are only possible with guided tours. The public guided tours are limited to seven persons and start every hour on the hour, the last one of the day starting at 5 p.m.
Plečnik House in Trnovo is a complex of three buildings: the houses of Karunova 4 and 6, and Plečnik’s home, a cylindrical annexe that was added to the two existing houses by the architect Jože Plečnik. Plečnik’s home has original furnishing and artefacts, as left by the architect Jože Plečnik.
The exhibition gives an insight into Plečnik’s life and work, focusing particularly on the architect’s creations in Ljubljana, where he returned in 1921 following a successful career abroad, first in Vienna, where he created a number of pioneering works of modern architecture, and then in Prague, where, among other things, he renovated Prague Castle after it had become the official residence of the Czechoslovak president.
The exhibition brings together not only sketches, plans, models, and photographs relating to Plečnik’s famous creations such as the National and University Library in Ljubljana, the Ljubljana Central Market, and the Church of St Michael in the Marshes, but also plans for buildings that never saw the light of day, the most notable being the Cathedral of Freedom, intended to house the Slovenian Parliament.