CONTEMPORARY ART SPACE
During the fifteenth century, developments in Venice’s commercial activities led to the Sea Customs House, which had previously been near the Arsenal, being transferred to the western point of Dorsoduro. The building as it stands today was completed in 1682, five years before the nearby Basilica of the Salute. The building continued to be a customs house, and thus intrinsically linked to the city’s history, until the 1980s. After twenty years of abandonment, the Venice city council announced a tender to transform it into a contemporary art space. In June 2009, after 14 months of work, Punta Della Dogana reopened to the public and since then has been presenting temporary exhibitions. It also hosts events and has been a synonym for events and art in Venice ever since its opening.